The Pelion Middle School Counseling Department is a comprehensive school counseling program designed to address academic, career, and social/emotional development in our children.
The program is holistic in nature and utilizes best practices that are proactive and preventative measures designed to meet the needs of all students.
The PMS School Counseling Department is recognized by the American School Counselor Association as a Model Program.
If you would like to speak to or schedule an appointment with a school counselor, please contact Mrs. Sherry Hollis at 803-821-2307.
The Pelion Middle School Counseling Department is aligned with the American School Counseling Association Model. Students at Pelion Middle will be served in the areas of social/emotional, academic, and/ or career needs. The school counseling staff provides opportunities such as individual counseling, small groups, classroom delivery, and collaboration. The opportunities help students develop some of the important life- long learning skills for the 21st century. Creativity, cooperation, communication, and critical thinking are skills interwoven in the comprehensive school counseling program. In accordance with the ethical standards of the American School Counseling Association model, student’s confidentiality will be maintained between counselor and student except in cases of imminent danger. The counselor will make a professional decision regarding what constitutes imminent danger. Appropriate persons/agencies will be notified if there is imminent danger to the student or another individual or if there is a suspicion of child abuse or neglect.
About PMS Counseling & Advisement
The school counseling program at Pelion Middle School promotes a culture of continual growth by supporting students with a safe, caring, and nurturing environment where ALL can succeed as unique individuals. The professional school counselors work in partnership with all stakeholders to identify student needs and develop interventions that instill academic achievement, career exploration, and social/emotional well-being while ensuring equity and access for all students. School counselors encourage student independence, resiliency, and advocacy as they design their postsecondary pathways. The school counseling program models integrity through adherence to legal and ethical standards in daily work with students.
All students at Pelion Middle School are self-advocates who are equipped with the skills to design their post-secondary pathway. They are independently unique and embrace differences in themselves and others. Students from our school are emotionally intelligent and strive for strong relationships within their communities. These Panthers are resilient and see opportunity in life’s challenges.
Statement of Beliefs
The counselors at Pelion Middle School believe:
- Strong relationships are essential to student growth and achievement.
- All students are unique and should be celebrated for who they are.
- Every student can learn and deserves to be challenged through high-quality, equity-based education that prepares students for postsecondary opportunities.
- Students deserve access to professional school counselors who plan, manage, and deliver a comprehensive school counseling program.
- A comprehensive school counseling program nurtures a culture of academic, career, and social-emotional growth.
- School counselors are leaders of a student-centered collaborative effort with all stakeholders.
- School counselors will uphold all legal and ethical obligations to their students.